Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-11


I really don't care to write about politics. I read what other people write and either nod in agreement or turn red in the face. I don't research the news enough to make write an informed opinion - and picking through what our news media chooses to cover can be problematic.

However, I can reminisce about the day I heard about the terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and the plane crash in Pennsylvania. I got up late - I didn't have to go to work until the middle of the afternoon. I fired up the computer and got online - dialup back then. I subscribe to the NYT headline edition - it's free - and they had seen fit to send out a headline email. I don't recall the Times doing that before or since. The coverage was just for the first plane. I turned on the television, and got caught up.

The next few days were surreal. The weather was just like it is today - a fine sunny cool fall day in Western Kansas, with an unlimited view of the sky. Today, there are vapor trails crisscrossing the blue firmament. Then, not so much. The Postal management wasn't sure what sort of effect the attacks would have on the mail, and our safety. Confusion reigned. Everyone seemed to agree - we would be at war. We were united. We were in shock at the audacity, the total barbarism of the terrorists. This was not going to go unanswered. When the eventual death toll came out, everyone mourned the loss of so many fellow citizens.

Now, it seems the idea that we were united was a total illusion. Politicians on both sides of the aisle use the event to further their political careers. However, the "Left" has chosen to ignore the attacks. They use moral equivalence for their arguments - oh my, several of our troops crossed the line by "torturing" terrorists - so this justifies them killing us wantonly. If we only have a dialog with them - ignoring the statements from our adversaries that they don't want to talk - they just want us dead. They aren't even our adversaries, according to the apologists. The terrorists are misunderstood, considering the social context of their lives. Then we have the truthers and their complete devotion to totally illogical beliefs. "Fire cannot melt steel" indeed. Perhaps we have dwarves underneath the surface of the planet, making chunks of steel into handy shapes we fortunately find and are able to use. It makes as much sense.

Bah. I don't want dialog with our enemies. I want them to pay, and pay so dearly the idea of trying to interfere with our lives is an anathema to them. I want our troops to have real support - not being told they are too young to make a decision about their life or death, while out of the other side of the same mouth comes an argument that teenagers should have life or death decisions about unborn babies. Support means not publishing articles that demean or threaten their safety. Support is more than just sending equipment. Not being a traitor would help.

I fear for our country's future. I do not have the answers - I wonder if I even have the correct questions. I do know we are in a continuous loop of self destruction. This cannot abide.

1 comment:

Bob's Blog said...

Extremely well put.