Saturday, October 20, 2007

New Laptop

Gah. My old laptop just lost all it's networking abilities. This has happened before, and it's a hardware issue. Last time it happened, my factory six month warranty was in effect, and I got it back with the hard drive wiped - they'd done a restore disk to it. Of course, as part of the process, I had already done that. They didn't tell me what they'd done, but I'm sure it got a new motherboard.

So, I'd bought a three year warranty from Wally World, but of course I couldn't find the stupid receipt. Getting a receipt requires the date of purchase. Gee, seems like I don't have that.

I'd bet a new MB would cost my hiney, so I bit the bullet and bought a new laptop today. With Windows Vista. I can't get Eudora to download emails. It is the default mail program. Its included in the programs for Windows Firewall. I can't seem to find what is going on in the trial Norton Security setup - it doesn't have a section for allowing certain programs - it just says what it will do for an email program.

Windows Email didn't import my messages worth a crap - I've had to install Outlook on the old laptop to import and export my address book. Messages, not so much.

I like Spybot Search and Destroy. I cannot get administrator rights to immunize in that program. I see I have Windows Defender - which is supposed to do the same thing, so I'm probably SOL regarding my favorite antispyware programs.

What a frikkin' pain.

1 comment:

IHeartQuilting said...

I've got Vista on my laptop. There are still things we're finding out are a pain, and I've had it for business since April. My one boss has no patience, so after 10 minutes of 'sentance enhancers', he turns it over to his partner, my other boss, who has the patience, and he just quietly screws around with the laptop until he figures out what obscure settings need to be changed to allow me to do whatever it is I need.