Thursday, October 30, 2008

This 'N That Part III

Sorry I've been away, but it's been a fairly hectic week. Healthwise, I have good weeks and bad - I get pretty fatigued at times. This was one of those weeks.

Plus, I woke up last night with some pretty good pain of the kidney stone variety. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I took one of the pain pills I'd stashed from all my surgeries and procedures. I had the truck at home, so I figured I'd drive it to the shop, and then take myself to the emergency room.

But, when the alarm went off, I felt pretty good. Either those drugs were better than I remembered, or I had passed the stone. My ureters are pretty skinny, so if the stone makes it to the bladder, I'm home free. Only none ever have before. As the day went on, there were reminders that a stone had probably made me it's bitch, and at the end of the day, whilst in the bathroom, evidence that proved my theory appeared. You can imagine the rest.

A couple of us had to go to northern Iowa earlier this week. I guess it didn't hit home that Iowa will probably go for Obama until we saw all the signs. We hauled a couple of fertilizer tanks to an ag supply company. As is normal, politics did come up, and we heard "Oh, McCain is just a warmonger, just like Bush. War, war, war is all they are about."

Naturally, this went over like a lead balloon over the Grand Canyon. I asked him if he really believed Obama would bring all the troops home. I reminded him that we will have military bases - just like in Japan, Germany and Korea. He looked at me like I'd lost my mind. The Kool Aid had gotten to this one....

Then we heard about how the economy was totally in the tank and it was all Bush's fault. "Even after he tried to get Congress to act on the mortgage problems several years ago, and Frank, Pelosi, and Lautenberg put a stop to it? - and geez, what party affiliation are they?" I told him he could look it up, it is all a matter of public record - Bush did try. But, again, that isn't what The Chosen One and his minions had told this useful idiot. It didn't occur to me until later, but if the economy was so bad, WTF was the company that employed him making a major investment in fertilizer tanks for the future? Seems like that business was doing well enough to expand. No breadline there.

Oh well, some people refuse to be reached.

And on a final note - I heard this song for the first time in years today. Happy Halloween and enjoy!

7 comments:

ptg said...

Iowans have earned their reputation as hayseed rubes. Back in the '60's, I thought the Stones were cool. Now when one of my friends mentions them, guess what comes to mind?

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better.
Thank you for the visits and comments to mine and Mish's blogs.

I love Alice!

B'Ahavah. Leah

threecollie said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling ill...hope you are better soon.
And you cannot argue with those people even with facts on your side. What they don't want to see they just don't see. Thank you from the rest of us for trying though...

Earl said...

I have been amazed, I guess buying ads and time make up for lack of substance, still I guess I am not as gone as I thought I was on media attention - I still read. Hope you get better, and life continues to make you smile, a victory for McCain would be nice. He doesn't believe the government makes an economy, but then what have thy been teaching in schools? You can have that nightmare.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better.

Melissa B. said...

Dear Superior Scribbler: Sorry for the "canned" and unrelated nature of this comment, but I wanted to get to as many of you tonite as possible. One of the things that we at Scholastic Scribe are most proud of is the Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. Several of you are already familiar with the arbitrary and quite inane weekly attempt at humor...for you, and for those of you who have not yet played Sx3, I urge you to drop by Sunday to see what's up. Oh, and congrats on being named a SS. You earned it!

Frank W. James said...

Hope You are feeling better now.

All The Best,
Frank W. James