Sunday, February 08, 2009

Just Wow


I know I'm late to this party - but I'm a Neanderthal when it comes to network television. I just don't care to be bothered to watch the majority of the Big Four's nightly offerings. I used to like Monk, but I think it jumped the shark a long time ago, along with The Dead Zone. The Law and Order and CSI clones have never appealed to me. E.R. should have been put out of it's misery years ago. I run from the so called reality shows, and what passes for comedies just plain blows. I prefer classic movies, but I've seen most of them, too.

So, out of sheer boredom, I've been tuning in to USA Network's showings of House M.D. I've learned what an asshole Dr. House can be, as well as see his humanity. The detective nature of the plots seems fascinating. But, what makes the show are the actors and the emotional sides of their characters. The writing is pretty dern good.

I think tonight I saw my favorite episode: Three Stories, Season 1 Episode 21. House is teaching a class of prospective doctors and uses three examples of diagnostic puzzles. It starts out funny, because they manage to include Carmen Electra as one of the patients. She really wasn't one, but it was his fantasy, so what the hell. At any rate, the show turned serious, and we find out quite a bit more about Dr. Gregory House's past and why he has to use a cane. That is all I'll say about it, other than I think Sela Ward kicks ass as an actress, and doesn't get her due from those who hand it out. The supporting cast is in fine form as usual, too.

Not many shows draw me in like this one does.

No comments: