Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009 Part II

I finally made it in to the cemetery to decorate the graves again this year - I was watching the rain delayed Coca Cola 600, and it seemed to me that the final delay would be the last. If they had continued, I'd have been decorating in the dark if I didn't go to town. At any rate, it was a bit windy (normal) but not too hot, and the place was certainly dressed up.


The clouds tease us with the possibility of rain.



This year I decided to decorate some of the really old graves. This family plot actually holds four graves (and room for more), but I had forgotten just how many there were. I knew I needed to catch two for sure. This is in the "old" section - the "new" section doesn't allow large vertical headstones and markers. They have to be flush with the ground to allow easier mowing and maintenance.



These would be my great grandfather and great grandmother. My dad was named for "RJ," and I him. Technically, I should be a III rather than a Junior. Lavina Elizabeth Justice Borland is in a picture I posted some time ago. Both were from Illinois. When they married, she was 21 and he was 22. Thanks to my distant cousin Larry Rambo for the genealogical information.



Then we have my father and paternal grandparents. Leo, my grandfather, was the son of RJ. I decided last year that I wanted to put some flags up for these two as they both had served.

I usually get a bit misty when performing this task. This year, my Extra Mother happened by, and I got caught up with her and helped her with some grave tending tasks. When I was little, I hated being dragged along to visit and decorate graves, and found the whole thing a bit creepy at times. Nowadays, not so much. It's actually a good place, full of representations of memories of those we love that are not here any more. It's a stately and respectful area, housing our cherished past. I'm sure not ready to take residence there just yet, but the thought isn't frightening like it used to be.

2 comments:

Mo K said...

Beautiful decorations, Jeffro. God bless you and your kin.

RT said...

Very nice. :)