Monday, June 21, 2010

It's Different When I Do It

Yannow, we are all liars in our own ways - we wear one face for certain people, and change for others. I'm not the same guy talking to the boss as I am bee essing with a beer - and practically everybody is wired similarly. Liars may be a strong description of wearing different faces - but then when someone makes that argument, you are only arguing about the degree of the infraction and whether it matters or not. It's like this old joke:
A man approached an attractive woman in a bar and asked her if she'd sleep with him for a million dollars.

"Why yes, I would!" she said warmly to him.

So, he asked "Would you sleep with me for five bucks?"

This upset her greatly - "NO! What kind of woman do you think I am?"

"Well, we've already determined that - we're just negotiating a price."


So, in our little ways, we are hypocrites - perhaps not seeing in ourselves what we think we're superior to in others. Most people have no clue - what they do is always above reproach and damn you for thinking otherwise.

So, I was at one of the local El Marto Del Wals today, buying supplies and groceries. Going through automotive, I picked up a three pack of tree shaped air fresheners- they were around two and a half bucks - no biggie. I'd been needing some for a while, and finally remembered to get some. I got the rest of my stuff, went through checkout and out the door I went. As I was unloading, I found the little trees still sitting in the child seat - I'd never paid for them.

Well, it was a hundred degrees out, I had ice and some frozen stuff, it was a long walk back in, yada yada yada. Besides, it was only a couple bucks. WallyWorld has made enough off me in the past twenty or thirty years - well, they could afford to let this one slide.

All these arguments boiled over but the fact still remained - I had not paid for them. I had intended to pay, and it just slipped by the cashier and I, but when I discovered them unpaid and in my basket, and made the decision to just go on - I was shoplifting.

Not to worry - in order to sleep at night, I've saved the wrapper thingy that held them on the hook, so the next time I go - I'll pay for the damn things.

What would y'all do? Is it shoplifting when it's a cheap item, and you didn't mean to take it? Or is it outright theft because of the awareness that it hadn't been paid for? What's your take?

6 comments:

Bill said...

My opinion ... you are doing right by keeping the wrapper and paying for them the next time you are in Wally World. The simple fact that you are questioning the incident indicates that you have a high standard of morality. Bill

drjim said...

Haven't had that kind of thing happen to me, but several times I was given too much back in change. If it's in the coinage part, I never look at it, but I always check the bills I get back. A couple of times I was given tens instead of ones, and one time there was a five stuck to one of the singles I got back.
I always gave back the overage, usually with no comment from the person that gave me too much.

Earl said...

Well, you pay for them, you make it right, and your options are enormous... electronic cash zapped everywhere, your post and some cash to the local newspaper that your WalMart falls into, and your idea isn't that bad, except they do have inventory problems of three missing air freshners and the TSA may be brought in when they find out that combined with BLANK you can make a real mess.


I grew up knowing that Lincoln walked miles to return the correct change for something when he was clerking.

Jeffro said...

Gee, a-a - I guess I'm missing something. I went to your site and this blog isn't actually under your blogroll. Geez, I'd suspect you're some sort of spammer or something.

Like about 99.999% sure, but you can prove me wrong. I'll give ya a few days, then buh bye.

Dad Bones said...

One time the grocery store charged me twice for one item and I didn't notice it until I got home. It was about six dollars. I thought about going back the next day and asking for the money which they very well might have given me. I didn't do it because I knew they weren't trying to cheat me, and because I just didn't want to bother with it.

But I tend to keep the money on the rare occasion they give me back too much change, unless I happen to be sympathetic to the cashier. It's hard to explain why since I have no gripe with Walmart. I think I look at it as a rebate that sometimes comes my way.

Jinglebob said...

I'da went in and paid then and there else I 'd forget later!