Monday, July 18, 2011

Got A Question About HTML and Javascript

I've been noticing the ol' blog has been slow loading lately, and mostly it's because the browser is waiting on track.mybloglog.com. Welp, I figured it was either Sitemeter or Feedjit, but deleting the widgets didn't get rid of the mybloglog wait. Still there.

Mkay, so I tried checking it out in good ol' Sam Spade. Turns out its owned by Yahoo, so I'm sure it's just a rental - can't figure why Yahoo would give a crap about a Blogspot blog owned by Google. In fact, if you enter mybloglog.com in your browser bar, it redirects directly to Yahoo's home page.

So, I figured it must be one of my widgets in the sidebar redirecting, and then having it hang up for whatever reason. So, I went through each one and investigated every link to no avail. I did clean some of them out, just because they were basically dead - just as one that tracked Dale Earnhardt, Jr. No worky no more.

Mkay, so the next step would be the template for the blog. Sure enough, this is the script I found
{script src="http://track.mybloglog.com/js/jsserv.php?mblID=2008062914264221" type="text/javascript'}
I had to use large brackets instead of the less than and greater than symbols to get it to display on this page. Now, can I cut this out without any problems? Do I need to find an opening tag? It's stuck in below some footer stuff and the blogroll that I've labeled "Blogs I Read Regularly - the script is just above that, but not related to the LifeStatus widget. And then, WTF is it? It's not Google Analytics - that widget is actually at the bottom of the page and doesn't display.

Seems like I vaguely remember pasting something in the template for some reason or another, and this may have been it and it might be dead. At any rate, can I cut the damn thing out without breaking the blog?

7 comments:

jed said...

Yank that suckah! Anything that takes that long to load is trash, or the server it's loading from is trash. I've been trying to retrieve it, just to see what it looks like, and not getting any response for minutes.

Jeffro said...

Consider it done - thanks, Jed!

Jeffro said...

Wow. I should have done this right away - I get a wait from the Picasa servers, but that's normal.

JingleBob - let me know if this didn't help your ability to check in.

And thanks again, Jed.

jed said...

De Nada, mi amigo.

Of course, I don't notice stuff like that normally, because I have scripting disabled. So nyeah!

But I don't want your blog to do this.

Jeffro said...

Ouch! That would be bad. Let's not do that.

drjim said...

I noticed it was slooooow the last couple of weeks.
Loads fast, now!
Thanks, jed!

Jinglebob said...

Waaaaayyy faster. Bang! It was up!