Monday, December 03, 2012

Stick to Sportcasting


This is but one of many meme pictures floating around on Facebook tonight. In case you missed it, Bob Costas went on a rant during halftime of the Sunday Night Football game on NBC in support of gun control. He mostly quoted an opinion piece of Jason Whitlock's, apparently another bigoted and ignorant statist.

I could go on and dissect his arguments: they are certainly simple enough and have been debunked and proven wrong so many, many times before by about anyone with a brain, but what I want you to read is this open letter to Costas and Whitlock.

Gentlemen: I see that you have chosen to use the horrific crime of the murder of Kasandra Perkins to express your belief that guns are the problem, not the men who wield them. I am utterly certain that you believe that you have the moral high ground on this matter. I am equally certain that such a belief is appallingly wrong, not to mention terribly misogynistic. Why do I say this? Because had your desires on gun control been in place, I would not be alive to be writing this now. 
 I have an Ex. I have an Ex who, in the process of becoming my Ex, made credible threats to kill me. Why did I believe these threats were credible? Because among the primary reasons why I left him were that he had anger control issues, that he was a problem drinker well on his way to full blown alcoholism and that the things he was throwing at me were getting ever closer to my head. I decided to leave before finally snapped and actually hit me. He was displeased by this and made such displeasure known. 
 Do you know what kept me safe? Not some piece of paper. Not a judge tut tutting at him and shaking his/her finger and telling him to leave me alone. Not the police, who, after all, would only be able to respond once he had caused me harm. No, what kept me safe was my Glock. What kept me safe was my Glock and the fact that he knew I had both the ability and the will to empty a clip into his chest if he made good on his statements that if I did not come back, I would not see the next week. He never tried to do any of the things he screamed he would because he knew that not only would I defend myself but that I could. My Ex was nearly a foot taller than me and, at the time, had about 150 pounds on me. If he had been able to get close enough to me to harm me, there were very few options I had to protect myself. But with my Glock, well, I would be able to stop him before he got that close. I am alive today because he knew that if he tried to make that otherwise, there was a better than even chance he would be the one lying there in a pool of blood instead of me.
Now go and read the whole thing, what she says is very powerful and far more persuasive than any sort of logical conclusions I could imagine.

5 comments:

threecollie said...

That was a great letter....common sense is so darned rare these days.

Jess said...

Gun sales have reached a high point never seen before. Meanwhile, those that have the most to fear from an armed society are complaining.

I wonder if they have the intelligence to realize they have few sympathetic ears and accept that a huge segment of our society is determined to be safe?

Jeffro said...

Well, crap. Sorry, David, I apparently deleted your message as spam - didn't look too close. So,if you come back and wonder why it isn't here, it's because I screwed up.

David said...

Well then, I guess I'll leave another one.

So by Bob Costas' reasoning, the eeevil gun is what caused the murder, not the fact that Jovan Belcher wasn't able to man up and deal with the facts of life. So tell me one law that would've prevented all this.

Jeffro said...

Yes. Or the laws that were broken already, as well as the Chief's policy of no guns on the premises.

But hey, it felt good and right to the ignorant.